Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Dates and Places

On November third my training will commence in Tokyo. I will be given curricula, practice sessions, contracts to sign, insurance papers, train schedules, vacation procedures, recruitment strategies, and a place to lay my head.

From there I will make my way to Furukawa, in the Tohoku region of Japan, known for good rice and bad winters. And I will teach.

I expect to be overwhelmed. I even welcome it. By the end, it will feel like home.

I have a little time left to say goodbye to the people I have come to love here in San Antonio, but as I have considered it, I have come to realize that I do not know which words to say. I'm certain I will be forgiven this silence, but I'd like to go out with spectacular theatrical speeches, always recalled for their particular poignancies, that personal touch, a few words, the true meanings of which can only be detected by their intimate audiences, all waiting for my return...

More likely, I will just go. And after I arrive, all my hesitancies will be forgotten.

1 comment:

Bob said...

awesome. soon: update on the stoop.